Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Importance of Creativity

I agree with Sir Ken Robinson that creativity is important in education. Learning, I don't think, is fun unless you get creative with it... especially in Elementary school. I remember having the monotone teacher that gave you homework reading the textbook and the grade was only quizzes and tests. I hated the teachers that graded you based on test scores. I loved the teachers that had projects that you could have fun with. I love the teachers with fun posters on the walls... classrooms with bursts of color. Creativity makes learning enjoyable so it is a necessary aspect in education.

Learning is obviously a lot more fun when you have to be creative. I think it would be fun to learn core subjects by putting the information to a song or dance. I know when my mom taught 6th grade science she made up songs to tunes that the students would know. Also when she taught cells the students got to decorate cookies to help them learn the parts of the cell. I think that is how learning should be so when I teach I am going to do some very creative things with my students. I most certainly will not be a teacher that takes creativity out of school!

No comments:

Post a Comment