Tuesday, November 17, 2009
I think that most things in the class are pretty self explanatory to those who are familiar with computers. There are so many different types of technology that teachers use in the classroom that were not really even taught in the course. I think being taught how to use a Smart Board or Elmo would be really helpful to all of us as future teachers.
I don't think that any material taught in the course should go to waste. I probably will not listen to podcasts or watch a videocast but I know how to use them in case I am required to create a podcast. I think every thing was self explanatory, so I think that attending class was a little pointless since I did all my work outside of class.
I wouldn't necessarily say that the class excited me because most everything I knew how to use from my Computer Applications class in High School. I did enjoy creating a blog and finding cute backgrounds because I did learn how useful blogs can be in the classroom and even in your personal life.
I do not think anything was intellectually challenging. I'm sure for people who are not familiar with using computers there was. But, since I know how to use a computer without any serious difficulties, I did not find any of the assignments challenging.
I was extremely bored sitting in class every Thursday night for 2.5 hours. Since I did all my work at home and knew how to use all the programs, I rarely paid attention in class. I would just go and sit on Facebook during the lecture and pay attention only when I felt like I really needed to. I personally think that attending the class for such a long amount of time was a waste of my time.
The only way I would suggest changing the course is making the class an online class. Dr. Strange has no problem posting videos onto his blog, so I think the class could be changed to an online class. Dr. Strange could post videos explaining how to do something onto his blog and have an option where students can Skype him if they have any other questions.
I think I am technologically literate. I don't think the class improved my literacy a lot because I am already familiar with computers. I wouldn't say I am GREAT, but definitely good. If someone has a question about a computer, I could most likely answer it or try to explain to them what needs to be done.
I don't think that I will have to work hard to maintain my technological literacy. I know that most schools require you to take a technology class before you can start teaching there. So before I teach, I will attend that and get caught up with all the technology at that time.
Seven Stupid Mistakes
- Thinking Online Communication is ever private - I know for a fact that online communication is never private. People can see your Facebook page, an email you send can be forwarded to people, and you never know who will see what you do online. It is VERY important to be cautious when sending online messages, whether you are a teacher or not, because you never know who will see what all you do.
- Thinking Technology in Schools will go away - Technology is doing nothing but improving each and every day. Not only will technology in schools never go away, but it will do nothing but get more complex. My advice to teachers who are not computer literate is to hurry up and learn because if you wait too long, you will never catch up!
- Put Kids in Touch with the World - Kids can learn a lot about different cultures by communicating with other children across the world. Comments 4 Kids is a great way for students to post blogs and comment on other kid's blogs. I think Comments 4 Kids is wonderful because it seems safe, but as teachers we still must supervise everything the students do because anyone can say anything over the internet.
-Delight in the discovery, the newness, and the fun technology holds - Using technology in the classroom can make learning so much more fun for the students! Technology can be used to get creative ideas, post projects, and even play games to enhance learning. Technology should definitely be used in the classroom to make learning more fun!
- Talk only when permitted, text at all other times - I love this rule because it is so true. Even though most schools have a no cell phone police, students still text each other throughout the day. I think it is great having a rule that allows texting in the classroom. It can help students communicate with students and teachers in other classrooms and is a lot easier to have on you at all time than a computer. I know I don't go anywhere without my cell phone.
- Be quiet in lines, hallways, and restrooms, unless you are at home and logged into your on line classroom, in which case you can dance and play - I thought this rule was really creative and it made me smile! I love how dancing and music is at the end. I'm all for not having to go to class and sit still. Online classes allow students to wear whatever they would like and do whatever they like. It is your responsibility to complete the work, so as long as everything is completed there is nothing wrong with dancing as you do your work.
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
I thought the video, Toward a new future of Whatever, was really interesting and true. People these days use Whatever and Meh in every day conversations and it usually makes me mad when people use them without any other words. Whatever can be a very offensive word depending on the context; it can be used sarcastically, when you don't know what else to say, or if you can't make up your mind about something. I go to YouTube all the time when I need a good laugh because YouTube is full of funny videos that my friends and I always watch.
I think what Dr. Welsh says about videos on the computer is absolutely true. I know that when my group was filming our video cast we were really nervous because we had no clue how many people would see the video. It is really awkward just talking to a camera, which is why I really like Skype because if the person on the other end is on video, it is not like you are just talking to a camera. I like the idea of writing a few meaningful words on your hand because there can be really motivational messages for people to see. As a teacher, I know I need to get comfortable being watched by people because I will have a whole class looking up to me. Also, I think it is a good thing to incorporate video into the lesson to get the students comfortable talking into a web cam because our culture is turning toward technology more and more as time progresses.